Somerset Sustainable Housing was established by:
Steve Charter: MA (Environmental Planning)
and Jim Blackburn (Director, The Timber Frame Company Ltd.)
During the first half of 2000, Somerset Sustainable Housing was working with South Somerset District Council and Somerset County Council to establish the innovative South Somerset Sustainable Construction Project (see http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk - go to 'What's New' or Search).
Steve Charter of SSH was employed by the Council on a contract basis to lead the establishment of this project. He developed and set to work a multi-stranded strategy involving:
- Village Halls and community buildings;
- The Council's own buildings and schools;
- Partner Housing Associations;
- Planning - key site briefs, supplementary guidance and deposit plan policies;
- Establishing The Somerset Trust for Sustainable Development - a Development Trust with a unique focus on sustainable construction;
- An ongoing conference and seminar programme.
Somerset Sustainable Housing's work has now largely been taken on by The Somerset Trust for Sustainable Development. The Trust is able to work with other Councils and housing providers to develop coherent and locally appropriate sustainable construction strategies. For more information contact The Somerset Trust for Sustainable Development.